What do you understand by Polybase in SQL Server 2016?
PolyBase is a technology that accesses and combines both non-relational and relational data, all from within SQL Server. It allows you to ...
By simply using Transact-SQL (T-SQL) statements, you an import and export data back and forth between relational tables in SQL Server and non-relational data stored in Hadoop or Azure Blob Storage. You can also query the external data from within a T-SQL query and join it with relational data.
- Query data stored in Hadoop. Users are storing data in cost-effective distributed and scalable systems, such as Hadoop. PolyBase makes it easy to query the data by using T-SQL.
- Query data stored in Azure blob storage. Azure blob storage is a convenient place to store data for use by Azure services. PolyBase makes it easy to access the data by using T-SQL.
- Import data from Hadoop or Azure blob storage. Leverage the speed of Microsoft SQL's columnstore technology and analysis capabilities by importing data from Hadoop or Azure blob storage into relational tables. There is no need for a separate ETL or import tool.
- Export data to Hadoop or Azure blob storage. Archive data to Hadoop or Azure blob storage to achieve cost-effective storage and keep it online for easy access.
- Integrate with BI tools. Use PolyBase with Microsoft’s business intelligence and analysis stack, or use any third party tools that is compatible with SQL Server.